My workshop is a post -Christmas disaster and I need to be honest about what my business is now and how I should use my space. I have grand plans! Let’s see if I can do it.
My vow was to truly get rid of things. I was going to be brutal!
It had actually been a bit of a struggle. I have joked about “horders” before but, honestly, I feel like I kind of understand it the syndrome.
Each scrap of wood or random bit of ephemera I’ve gathered could be used for something……someday. And I can never escape the fear that pretty much the minute I pitch or donate it “someday” will come and I will wish I had it.
But I had to do it. I’ve given away furniture that I’m just never going to work on to my friend Nicki who I know will do some amazing transformations. I weeded out scrap wood and bits of other stuff.
My rule was that if I don’t know exactly what I want it for/want to do with it then it has to go.
I did keep a few, small, pieces of furniture because even though I really don’t have an outlet for selling it I love working on furniture (it’s how this whole journey began) and I just can’t give it up.
I picked it up for $10 at a garage sale. The finish was toast but he lines and details were really nice.
I had a simple vision for it – just a nice, clean makeover to give it a second life.
But time is tight (those coasters aren’t going to make themselves!) so I gave myself a time limit.
I didn’t know if that was going to be really possible but it was worth a shot.
My orbital sander made quick work of the majorly decayed finish. And a sanding sponge worked great for getting into the nooks of those fluted edges.So, 15 minutes later I had a nicely sanded piece ready for priming.Spray paint was the way to go on this. It’s fast to dry and perfect for small pieces (I use Rustoleum’s American Accents mostly).
After years of missing spots when I paint I’ve gotten into the habit of flipping the furniture upside down for the initial coat of paint that way I know I’ve hit everywhere.After the primer had dried for about 20 minutes I gave a very (VERY) light sanding. And then top-coated with Heirloom White. Two quick coats applied in close succession did the job nicely.
After another 20 minutes of drying I attached a black knob and I was done!Truth in Advertising: While the sanding, priming, painting took an hour I still had to let the paint cure overnight before I put things down on it for these final photos.
And I didn’t apply a top coat of polycrylic or wax as I’ve found the spray paint is plenty durable on it’s own.But, of course, now that it’s done and photographed I have had a brainstorm about something else I want to do with that knob area.
I think it will take a lot less than an hour……….