My name is David and I am your Plaid Craft Ambassador.
I promise to keep things civil, try to hear all sides of the argument and I hope we can come to some consensus on the issue to prevent an outright craft war.
OK, actually, I want to reiterate that Plaid provided me with craft supplies for this project but all the opinions and experiences are my own. Other than receiving the craft materials I was not compensated for this project and any links I provide are purely to be helpful – I don’t receive an affiliate kick-back or anything.
All the products I used are new(ish) and are now available in most craft stores or via the Plaid Enterprises site.
With that out of the way lets get on to the project.
Geralyn asked me if I could fix up this woebegone little sewing cabinet thingy.
I happily said yes, put it in the garage and then pretended not to see it for….. several years.
As you can see it was damaged on that front corner and I couldn’t figure out how to fix it.
So I kept hoping inspiration would strike (or that Geralyn would forget about it).
Happily it struck! (and I don’t know if Geralyn forgot although if she didn’t she did display great patience)
But that repair is the subject of different post.
So, just bear with me as I fast-forward. I fixed the problem and now it’s time to spruce the little guy up a bit.
I used the following products
- Folk Art Milk Paint – Petticoat
- Folk Art Milk Paint Bonding Primer and Sealer
- Mod Podge Transfer Medium
- Folk Art Milk Paint brushes
- A reverse printed image from the Graphics Fairy
- Glass cleaner
- 120 grit sandpaper
- damp towel (for the image transfer part)
After cleaning the whole piece with glass cleaner (new idea for me but recommended by the Folk Art directions and it worked quite nicely) I primed it with the Folk Art Bonding Primer and Sealer.
The Primer goes on with and looks slightly milky but dries clear. Actually, it almost made me not want to paint the thing because it made the finish look much better….but where’s the fun in that?
Up next, my first experience with milk paint.
Like all of you I’d heard about it for a long time but hadn’t tried it. Plaid has come up with a version that comes pre-mixed and ready to go.
I brushed on an initial coat using the designed for the purpose.
A minimum of two coats is required for this paint and, as you can see, the first coast went on a bit streaky.
But, it’s ready for it’s re-coat in 30 minutes and the second coat gave a beautiful finish.
Up next was the image transfer.
As you know I’ve experimented with a lot of different image transfer techniques. What I’m discovering is that each one has it’s advantages and disadvantages and I like having kind of an arsenal of options at my disposal. I’ve had very satisfactory results with Mod Podge Image Transfer in the past – it’s easy to work with and produces the perfect, slightly distressed, vintage look I wanted.
I printed my image in reverse on my laser printer.
To do the transfer I lay a good thick coat of the transfer medium over the printed side of the paper*and then place it, Mod Podge Side, down on the surface of the furniture and smooth out any wrinkles or air bubbles.
You also want to have a damp towel on hand to clean up any excess MP Transfer that squeezes out because it’s much harder to clean it up when it dries.
I applied it to the cabinet and let it dry overnight (the long drying time is the only disadvantage of this technique – I’m just seldom that patient).
(*spreading the transfer goo on the paper can be a bit messy. Mod Podge makes a really great silicone mat that you can buy – you can kinda see it in my picture- that works great and is easy to clean up. If you don’t have that (I bought mine a few years ago) though, lay down a piece of plastic wrap or something to protect whatever surface you’re working on)
The next day I dampened the image with a cloth and then, using the same damp cloth gently rubbed away the paper to reveal the image underneath.
With all of these transfer techniques keep in mind that you’re not transferring just the image but also a super thin, pretty-much transparent layer of the paper that the image is attached too as well. If you rub too hard you’ll just rub off that thin layer of paper along with your image (I did that in one spot you’ll see in a sec) so “gently” is the key word here.
Once I was satisfied with the look of the transfer I sanded the edges of the whole piece using 120 grit sandpaper and then gave the whole thing a protective sealing coat of the Folk Art Bonding Primer and Sealer.
You can see, in this pic, where I got a bit to agressive with the rubbing right there in that black circle at the end of the word “Barbour.” I think it just adds to the distressed, vintagy look but it is a goof.
I think Geralyn will be pleased with the look.
So, I’m happy to report that my first experience with Milk Paint was pretty great. It went on smoothly, clean up was easy and I really like the look. This is particularly good because, as you know, I have A LOT of it!So I’m looking forward to more projects (and to mixing my own colors which is, apparently, an option).
I will share a post about how I fixed that banged up corner soon.