Some of my days can only really be described as a little schizophrenic.
This was my day.
Up and to the gym at 5.
A couple of hours of mod-podging coasters and projects and answering some emails.
Shower and dress as “an intellectual archivist” and drive over to Hollywood to audition for The Office.
After the audition it’s back home to
A) Remove the carcass of the dead rat from the garage
B) Continue to make coasters and HOME signs
C) Send out Etsy orders
D) Memorize my lines for my other audition
Then shower, change clothes to be “an incredibly dull physics professor” and back over to Hollywood to audition for Parks and Recreation.
Then back home, change clothes and out to the garage for candle block drilling.
See? A little random!
As I was driving back home from audition number 2 my ipod – as it often does – played the perfect song:
Good Life (by OneRepublic):
What there is to complain about
When you’re happy like a fool
Let it take you over
Oh this has gotta be the good life
This has gotta be the good life
This could really be a good life, good life
And it really is a very, very good life! (the rat’s feelings about the day may differ)
This is exactly what I wanted my life to be when I decided to leave the 9-5 world!
But enough about that, I promised an update on my French Label Table. I’m very pleased with the results this time.
So, as a refresher it started out like this:
and my intention was to add this graphic from the Graphics Fairy collection
using a Blender Pen made by ChartPak that I found out about via the terrific Villabarnes blog.
My first attempt at the label transfer was spotty at best and failed completely when I tried to seal it with wax and it washed the whole design away. Ugh.
So, this time I vowed to do better – here are the steps I took:
1) I repainted the top with a flat white ceiling paint and then gave it a light sanding.
2) On the computer I reversed the label and upped the saturation so that the black lines were really, really black.
3) I wanted the label to end up being larger than 8.5×11 (the maximum size I can print) so I broke it up into sections and blew each part up to the size I wanted and printed them out separately on my Laser Printer. NOTE: This technique only works with laser prints – apparently- ink jet prints will run.
4) I then laid each piece face down and taped it to the table so it wouldn’t move.
5) Then it’s just a matter of rubbing the blender pen over the paper. I found out that you really need to rub aggressively to make the transfer really work. It may look like the ink is bleeding but that’s OK.
Then just immediately peel it away
6) A couple of sections didn’t come out as dark as I wanted but it was easy to re-print that section of the label, line it up and do it over again.
I’m pleased with the results but I’m going to wait for it to dry very, very thoroughly before some further distressing and a sealer coat. I’ll let you know how it goes.
I think this technique has lots of possibilities and the Blender Pen was only about $3.00 so it’s pretty affordable (and kinkos or staples can give you laser jet copies if you don’ t have a laser printer).
So all-in-all a very good day!
Hope everyone else also had a good Tuesday!