I’d became fixated on the idea of making a vintage looking sign that would say “Cabins for Rent.” Do you ever do that? Just get an idea in your mind and you must make it? I have no real use for a coat rack but, nevertheless – I have one now and it says “Cabin’s for Rent” so…..check that off my bucket list.
This project proved to be fun not just from a graphic design standpoint but as another step on the “David tries to make his own knobs” journey.
I started out with the side of the dresser which had that great green color along with a lot of chippiness. I sanded it as smooth as possible and came up with a graphic in Photoshop.I printed it out (backwards) and grabbed the Lenk tool (you can see more detailed Lenk tutorials here). I’m getting better with the Lenk – it’s fussy but it can do a lot.
I’ve taken to peeling away the paper just a bit at a time to make sure enough color transferred but even doing that, as you can see in the pics below, some paper just stays resolutely stuck in place. But a damp cloth and some gentle rubbing and it cleans away quite nicely.
On rough wood like this the transfer is going to be equally rough which, in this case is just what I wanted. It’s super-chippy and the heat of the Lenk actually melted through in spots to an older color which was OK with me.
So, with my image chippily transferred I turned my attention to the knobs. I wanted them large enough that you could hang something off them and I also wanted them to stick out far enough that they were useful so regular cabinet knobs wouldn’t do.
Looking around the shop I found two dowels that I had bought for……..well, really who knows – but there they were!
I sliced off a 1/2 thick piece of the larger dowel with my chop saw and a 3″ long piece of the smaller dowel. I wanted a really solid connection between the two pieces so I used my drill with a Forstner bit to drill 3/4 of the way through the disc and then glued them together. I’d made appropriately sized images for the knobs (the pic shows an earlier version – I had to go back in and make them a bit more distressed) so now I just painted the wood black and Mod Podged the design into place.I wanted a shiny, finished look to the knobs so I sealed the end with a coat of Envirotex Lite. It really only takes a few drops. You could also use Hard Coat Mod Podge or Dimensional Magic (also by Plaid)
When it came time to assemble I used the same Forstner bit to drill almost all the way through the sign and then glued the knob into the hole. I’d previously sealed the sign with a polycrylic spray so now it was just a matter of hanging it up.
(OK, I’ll admit it’s actually hanging on my back yard fence which is not remotely where one needs a towel/coat rack. But the fence has excellent light and an appropriately rustic look!….unlike most of the rooms in my house.)I may have gone a bit overboard with the distress on the knobsand for some reason, in the pics they look like they are a very different color than the “Cabin” text but it’s closer in real life.Now I just need a place to hang it, you know……. inside the house.