But I needed a little break yesterday and I wanted an activity that would help to re-energize my creative side.
Happily I had a new box of goodies from the folks at Plaid (I’m a member of their Plaid Ambassador Program)
First out of the box was some Martha Stewart Milk Glass Paint.
I was intrigued!
So grabbed those and got to work.
The instructions give you a few options for application: Soft bristle brush, foam pouncer or you can just kinda pour it on the glass (gravity!).
I didn’t have a pouncer and the gravity thing caused all my “Wasteful! Messy!!!!” alarms to go off (why I’m concerned about being wasteful with a product I got for free is one of the ongoing quirks of my “deep-pockets-short-arms personality disorder).
So I went with the brush.
The paint is easy to work with but it was pretty clear that it was going to take a couple of coats to get good coverage or a rich color.
After repeating the application using the pink and white paints it occurred to me that my little milk bottles would look good in a little holder so I grabbed some scrap MDF (1/4 inch) from the shop, cut it down
(that’s a 2.5″ x 9″ base piece, two 1.25×9″ sides and two 1.25×3″ end pieces)
Now you may want to sit down for the shock that is about to come.
After painting my little box I thought: “this little box will need some graphics!!!!”
I know! You never saw that coming did you………..
Because I was, as always, in a hurry I used my Lenk tool for the transfer. (If you’re new to these parts you can see a tutorial for it here)
And then it was time for the second coat of the Milk Glass paint and I decided to experiment a bit.
For the blue bottle I used the brush again and while the color got richer the brush marks were pretty evident. The instructions had told me that this was what would happenbut it also wasn’t quite the look I was hoping for.
So, with no pouncer I had to get over my fears/cheapness and give gravity a shot.
I poured the paint on the inside of the pink bottle and swirled it around. It was impossible to photograph (sorry) but worked quite well. However, although the paint, once dry, can be hand-washed it can’t be left submerged or sitting in water so pouring paint on the inside kind of limits the usefulness of the bottle.
So I poured the white paint on the outside of the white bottle. I wasn’t quite as messy as I’d feared but it also clumped a bit as it dried (and was also impossible to photograph)
But, the results are pretty if not quite what I’d imagined.
The colors are great and I think the technique holds promise (and to be fair, switching application styles in the middle is my fault not the paints’).
Bottom line – I liked it but I’ll have to play around with it some more and report back.
Back to the factory!
Disclaimer: I’m a Plaid Ambassador and the good folks at Plaid have provided me with the paint I used in this project. All opinions expressed are my own (clearly) and I received no other compensation and receive no compensation if you click on any links.