- Bat’s Incredible (too conceited)
- Bat’s Not All Folks!
- Bat-tle of ideas!
- Bat’l Do Pig
- My Belfry is Empty
- Bat-tastrophe (in case things went sideways)
OK, it’s crazy hot in Los Angeles again and it’s messing with my inner rhythms which are clearly telling me I want to drink hot chocolate and wear pants…..
But! Halloween is in the air somewhere so I’m soldiering on drinking frozen smoothies and wearing sunscreen (and shorts I didn’t mean to imply I wasn’t wearing any kind of lower-body clothing).
But the idea is still….batting around…..in my head and I wanted to give it another go.
- Thrift store frame
- Scrap MDF slats cut to size
- Bats! (I made my own – more on that in a sec)
- Waverly Super Premium Paint
Also used but not photographed because thinking ahead isn’t my strong suit.
- Matte Mod Podge
- Foam Brush
- Wax Candle
- Halloween collage
- E-6000 glue
- craft knife
I again used the bat silhouette I got from The Graphics Fairy and just made three, graduated size versions that would fit in my frame.
Now, I made my own because I needed to use up scrap and I have a penchant for making things more difficult that they need to be. You could use cardboard, foam core or anything solid to create the same result. OR some folks on Etsy make some good looking bats: you can check them some options here and here
I painted the edges orange using Waverly Super Premium Paint (which, not to sound to salesy is, honestly, my new favorite craft paint. The folks at Plaid gave me a bunch of samples and the colors are beautiful and they go on so smoothly.)
And, after letting the black paint dry, dry I rubbed the edges with a wax candle and then painted it again using the Waverly Orange.
And then it was on to the bats!
You might say I was….up to bat!
I decided to use my Vintage Halloween collage.
(I’m not keen on publishing high res version of my collage here because I do use it on products and such but if you’re a long time blog reader and would like the collage for personal use just let me know and I’ll send it to you.)
Once dry I trimmed away the excess with a craft knife and sealed them with another coat of Mod Podge.
My slats were already painted so I just sanded the edges for a distressed look.
I also went back in and sanded the frame. The top coat of orange won’t stick where the wax was rubbed so when sanded, the black is revealed and you have a distressed look.
E-6000 craft glue made quick work of attaching the slats to the back of the frame and the bats to the slats.
And, just like that, I had a Halloween decoration!
It could stay pristine or distressed.
Depending on your bat-supplies it could be filled with little bats or turned sideways for one, really big bat.
It could be….bat-tastic!!!!!
(or you could use pumkins, skulls, witches….whatever captures your Halloween imagination)
Disclaimer: As part of their Plaid Ambassador program the good folks at Plaid provided me with the Waverly Paint and Mod Podge. The project and my opinions are completely my own and I received no other compensation for this post. The links provided are just for informational purposes and I receive no compensation if you click on them.