I have several alternate titles for this blog post
- Why did I do that?
- My house is annoying.
- Is this really a good use of time?
- Biting off more than you can chew. The Danger of Tiny Mouth Syndrome.
As you may have surmised, I have encountered some set-backs on the road to today’s (planned) tutorial.
You see, this was supposed to be a blog post/tutorial wherein I would share my clever idea and show how you too might execute this clever, space saving innovation.
OK – here’s how things have gone down.
They have been awesome! One of those “why wasn’t this always the norm?” kinda things. I highly recommend them.
I hate fumbling around trying to get out the frying pan or the pasta pot etc.
Now, I have successfully (in my opinion) designed and made other “pull-out-easy-access-space-saving” projects.
So, I’m down with roll outs. I work well with drawer glides. Therefore why not (finally!) make a pull out drawer for that last remaining cabinet?
Because life is short.
It should have been easy. Just, basically, a box attached to glides.
After careful measuring I determined that the best way to get the most out of the space was to use “undermount” rather than side-mount drawer glides. I would use two of them (for balance and due to the weight of the drawer). Perfect!
Three (possibly four?) trips to Lowes later I had experienced the following progression of realizations:
- The Lowes website lies about where things are
- All manufacturers hate me. My cabinet can accommodate, at most, a 22” undermount drawer glide. How big do they make them? Well, they go: 16”, 18”, 20″ and…….. 22 5/8ths. Why!??!!!! 5/8ths?!!!! What possible purpose could the 5/8ths serve? And why don’t people who have 18” drawers need 5/8ths more to live out their dreams of organization and easy utensil access?*
- Oh wait! They make 20” ones! Yay, that will work!
- Wait. The 20” one doesn’t actually extend any further than the 16” one? So my drawer would only “extend” about 8 inches outside the cabinet?
- Oh, and you only have one anyway and it’s in the wrong bin so I had to look through all of the dreaded 22 5/8ths ones come to this realization? Thanks!
OK, side-mount drawer glides it is.
OK, fine, I’ll redesign. I can find somewhere else for that one lid. No prob.
Oh, but side-mount also means I need to get past the face frame on the cabinet.
Oh, and it’s a different depth on either side? Well that’s just terrif! Challenges – so satisfying!
…….Perhaps I need to rethink exactly how annoying it was to dig around to get to the frying pan.
Maybe, rather than a loud, clanging exercise in crouching down, it was a character-building, mini workout that made cooking a growth experience……
Tune in next week when I either, in very small type, admit defeat or, in very large type, crow endlessly over my amazing prowess at overcoming tremendous obstacles (like returning things to Lowes without a receipt…….I KNOW I have them…..somewhere……)
*rhetorical question – I’m not looking for answers, I’m ranting. I’m not proud of this fact but it is, nonetheless, a fact.