I have an amazing and supportive collection of friends. When I started this whole endeavor every on of them was on-board offering to help or just cheer. I will always be grateful.
However, I know that when a friend calls and says “I just found a great piece for you!” it can lead to awesome finds or frightening “what am I gonna do with that?!” moments. (I’ll share my “umm, did you want to keep this bag of marijuana that was in the drawer?” story for another time)
So when my buddy Donaco called I was cautiously enthusiastic. I headed over to his friend’s house and was confronted with this:
It’s awesome, right? No doubt about it. But there is “charmingly distressed” and “the paint falls off when you look at this thing.” This dresser fell into the latter category.
And it had drawers – they were just in pieces…..in a pile….to the left…..
BUT it’s awesome (see above) AND it was 100% free so who could argue?
First up. Sanding.
Isn’t it odd how some of the paint can’t stay on for the car ride home but the rest of it requires a nuclear device to remove?
Next. Drawer repair. Yes, that’s my entire clamp collection on one drawer. The veneer was either missing or peeling and I discovered that the “neat little pile” lacked two drawer bottoms.
I’d decided I wanted this piece to have a rustic barn red finish. So after a coat of primer I got to work. Except I forgot that when you buy red paint you want to prime with grey paint in order to get the red to be the color the paint chip shows. Oops. So my first few coats were not as rustic as I’d hoped but rather a kind of a festive fuchsia – not the vibe I was going for. But, fear not, in just one, two, FOUR MORE COATS I got to my deep barn red.
Then I sanded for that distressed look.
Except sanding just took off the last two layers of red paint and I ended up back at festive fuchsia.
My apologies – at this point I quit taking pictures because I was really busy, focused embarrassed….and out of paint.
But happily I discovered that when I added my favorite antiquing glaze all the paint went back to that perfect Barn Red.
You can see the difference in this photo
So with a little more rubbing, and a good coat of wax I ended up with this:
I realize I took something that was already shabby, fixed it up and then made it shabby again but such is the nature of my imagination.
Thanks for looking
Linked up over at the terrific: