I’ve seen something like a billion pallet wood projects on the web and I was beginning to feel a bit left out when, happily, the most expensive saw in the world came with its own pallet!
I was eager to use it but didn’t know what to make until I was cleaning some bookshelves and decided my accidental vintage camera collection needed a home.
Have you ever done that? Accidentally started a collection? I had no idea I collected cameras until I discovered I’d bought three of them.
First off I had to take the pallet apart. I’d seen posts on Pinterest about “how to take apart a pallet” and thought disdainfully “really? We need a tutorial for that?”
I should have looked at them. Those people are not fooling around when they put those pallets together.
Once I got it pried apart I cut the wood pieces down to 21” lengths reserving the remainder for the shelving.
It was at this point that I had the idea that it would look cool if I had a frame around the piece so I went digging and came up with the perfect size lengths of wood (this is the point in other people’s tutorials where I begin to think “I’m so happy for you and your endless supply of perfect materials that you just have lying around.” I do apologize for being that person but I really do produce a lot of random scrap wood)I cut the ends of the frame wood at 45 degree angles and set about painting.
My plan was to paint it white – to contrast with the black cameras – but I did want a little distressing.
So I stained the edges of the wood, rubbed them with wax and then painted them white because…..that’s my move!
Once the paint had dried a quick sanding and voila! Semi-instant vintage wood!I flipped all the pieces over and using my carpenters square to keep it, well, square, I attached them all together with a couple more pieces of scrap wood (sorry!).I attached the frame using my nail gun and some glue….and then patched the two corners where the frame didn’t quite meet. The frame isn’t structural and thing was supposed to look rustic but there is a line between “rustic” and “dude can’t measure” and I didn’t want to make it quite so obvious that I have a permanent home in the latter camp.
I laid the shelving pieces out and maked their location – using my carpenter’s square to make sure they would be straight and level. I drilled pilot holes and then screwed the shelves themselves in from the back.